Why The Opposition Wants To Boycott The Inauguration of The New Parliament Building?
- While everyone is looking forward to one of the biggest ceremonies in the recent past, the Opposition would like to differ.
- As many as 19 Opposition parties plan to boycott the event as the inauguration will be done by PM Modi and not President Draupadi Murmu.
- Trinamool Rajya Sabha leader Derek O’Brien took to Twitter and expressed displeasure over the inauguration by PM Modi and not the President.
- Rahul Gandhi and Shashi Tharoor as well admonished the inauguration by the Prime Minister and not the President.
- The contestation which they raise is somehow related to the Role of the President as given in the Constitution.
- According to Article 79 : “There shall be a Parliament for the Union which shall consist of the President and the two Houses – Council of States (Rajya Sabha) and the House of People (Lok Sabha).”
- Article 85 mentions about the power the President has with respect to prorogation and dissolution the Sessions of the Parliament.
- Similarly, Article 87 also states that the President must address both the Houses before every Parliament session.
- Therefore, the main contention was that BJP is trying to usurp the power dynamics and eroding the Democracy.